NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, VIRGINIA = 1634 Original Shire (prior to 1642
was called ACCAWMACK)
lays below Accomack Co, VA now, which
lays below DORCESTER, MD
lays on two bays/rivers of water
lays across the bay/river from ISLE OF WIGHT, GLOUCESTER, MIDDLESEX,
HAMPTON CO'S VA, which lays above Northampton , Chowan CO'[s
(where we have proven our earlier NC SELLERS)
and above the counties of CURRITUCK, CAMDEN, PASQUOTANK CO'S NC
(extreme ne corner of NC now)
Captain John Smith first explored the peninsula in 1608. English
colonists lived here briefly in 1614 for the purpose of salt extraction.
Originally this county, formed in 1634., as one of the eight original shires,
had been named Accomacke -- meaning "across the water place". But in later
years, after hostilites with the Natives, the thinking within the colony
was to purge all Indian names. So in 1643, Northampton County, named after
the county in Great Britain, was created by the General Assembly in the
Colony of Virginia.
By 1661, enough English settlers travelling long distances to the
monthly courts to justify dividing Northampton into two counties. The southern
half retained the name of Northampton, and the northern half adopted the
old name of Accomac.
On one side of Northampton County is the Atlantic Ocean, on the other
side is the Chesapeake Bay. The county seat is Eastville, and has been
so since 1715. Court records dating from 1632 are housed there; they are
the oldest continual records in the United States and, if you go to Eastville,
you may view them!
CAVALIERS AND PIONEERS, ABSTRACTS OF VIRGINIA LAND PATENTS AND GRANTS
CAPT. JOHN SAVADGE (Savage)
9000 acs. N'ampton Co., 2 OCT, 1664, P. 401 (461). Bounded on W.
by Chespiack Bay, E. by the seaboard side, S. by Cherristones Cr., formerly
called Accomacke Cr. the maine branch thereof &c. & on N. by Savadges
Cr. formerly called Wiscoponson &c. Granted 21 Nov. 1637, & due
for trans. of 122 pers. & trans. of 58 pers. & granted to Col.
Jno. Stringer 13 Mar. 1661 ^ by sd. Stringer & Ann his wife assigned
to sd. Capt. Jno Savage 11 Aug 1663 & by them acknowledged in open
court the 28 Apr. 1664.
Robt Sollers and others.
LAND OFFICE PATENTS AND GRANTS-SAVAGE
CAPTN JOHN SAVAGE Oct 8, 1673
9000a, Bounded on the west by the Bay of Chisepiack on the East
by the main Ocean on the South by
Cherryston creek, formerly called Accomack creek the main branch
Patents 6, p. 495