BERKELEY CO., SC

One of the originals, Congaree Township, was renamed in 1735 to Saxe-Gotha Township and first settled by German Lutherans in that year. It was located on the south side of the Congaree River comprising the southeastern third of what is present-day Lexington County, South Carolina. The name was chosen to honor the spouse of a member of the British Royal Family, who was born in an area of Germany known as Saxe Gotha. It was approximately thirty miles north and west of the Amelia Township, which had been founded in 1732.

In 1757, the Saxe-Gotha Township had perhaps 66 families, and some settlers have moved across the Congaree River to obtain better lands on the north bank in what is present-day Richland County.

What had been Saxe-Gotha Township was now part of the much larger Orangeburgh District and within the newly-established St. Matthew's Parish - both created in 1768, but the districts were not truly functional until around 1772, right before the American Revolution.

Immediately after the American Revolution, the newly-independent State of South Carolina redefined its internal districts in 1785 and recreated a new version of "counties" quite unlike the mostly-ambiguous and unsurveyed counties that existed prior to 1768. In 1791, South Carolina once again redefined its districts to now include the specific newly-created counties. In 1800, South Carolina decided to rename all existing counties as districts, and the larger term for district was now obsolete - no more aggregation of counties into a large district.

During all of this, Saxe-Gotha Township ceased to exist. Since no significant permanent towns were ever established in the 20,000 acre tract, the name Saxe-Gotha disappeared, not even recognized in the current state of South Carolina. To get an idea of where the Saxe-Gotha Township had been during the Royal Period, find a map of South Carolina and look for Lexington County - the heart of the Saxe-Gotha Township was located where the present-day town of Congaree is situated.

=======

Craven County lay north of Berkeley.

Craven County, South Carolina, which existed from 1682-1769 and encompassed the area north of Berkeley County to the North Carolina.

One year after securing their charter for Carolana, the eight Lords Proprietors established three counties within the new colony of Carolana - Albemarle County, Clarendon County, and Craven County. None of the three counties were ever surveyed or properly laid out; all were ambiguous geographical areas that changed over time, and none had any real governmental seat or political connotations to their existence.

Craven County was considered to be at the southern part of the Carolana colony, extending below the Cape Fear River to include present-day Georgia and northern Florida, and to extend to the west as far as the Pacific Ocean. At the time of its inception in 1664, there were no British settlers in Craven County, and there would not be until 1670 when the first group of Barbadians finally settled along the Ashley River in what is present-day Charleston, named Charles Town until its name was shortened after the American Revolution in 1783. 

One can argue that all of the existing counties within the state of South Carolina were eventually derived from this original Carolana county named Craven and this argument would withstand almost any counter-argument. However, it was not quite that cut and dried. As with all of the colonies, the establishment of counties and/or precincts was a slow and sometimes painful process as the population grew and local sentiments evolved over time. However, well into the late 1700s, even after the American Revolution, many citizens continued to consider themselves as living in Craven County.

In 1682, the Lords Proprietors decided to establish two new counties, south of Craven, and these were named Berkeley and Colleton. Craven was deemed to lie between the Cape Fear River (in present-day North Carolina) and southward to the mouth of the Awendaw Creek in present-day Berkeley County, South Carolina. The newly-established county of Berkeley in 1682 was deemed to lie between the Awendaw Creek and the mouth of the Stono River in what is present-day Charleston County. The new Colleton County was deemed to lie south of the Stono River - to wherever.

In 1684, a fourth county was established from Colleton County, and it was named Carteret County. The new Carteret County was deemed to lie between the mouth of the Combahee River and the mouth of the Savannah River. This now made Colleton County to lie between the mouth of the Stono River and the mouth of the Combahee River.

In 1708, Carteret County was renamed to Granville County.

=========

from Paula Gretchen [gallmankane@gmail.com]
Dont know about this one, remember our ancestors may have spoken with an accent, and the recorder may not have spelled the name as it should be, but rather the way it was pronounced.  You may only know by dates if this is truly one of your ancestors.

S213184: Colonial Plat Books (Copy Series)

HOYLAND, ANNA MARIE, PLAT FOR 1,000 ACRES IN BERKLEY COUNTY.
 
http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/Thumbnails.aspx?recordId=109785